Your nearest and dearest will definitely thank you for this extra moist, hearty treat.
Yummy gluten free carrot and veggie cake
- 400g peeled and trimmed, grated mixed carrots, beetroot & parsnip
- 1 beetroot, thinly sliced & dehydrated in a low oven (100C for 40-60 minutes, or until completely dry)
- 90g sultanas
- 6 eggs
- 150ml olive oil
- 300g caster sugar
- 300g Lurpak Baking
- 500g ground hazelnuts (or almonds) – make your own with blanched hazelnuts, ground for 30 seconds in a food processor
- Grated fresh nutmeg & cinnamon to taste
- 2 tbsp. dessicated coconut
- 60g sunflower and pumpkin seeds, plus extra for dusting
- Cream cheese frosting
- Makes 650g
- 125g Unsalted Lurpak Baking
- 200g firm full-fat cream cheese, drained of any liquid
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Use 2x23cm round cake tins, greased with olive oil or a loaf tin (if using a loaf tin fill the batter almost to the top)
Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan assisted/gas mark 6
Beat Lurpak® Baking and sugar until light and airy – approximately 5 minutes.
Beat in eggs on a low speed to combine and slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream, beating just enough to incorporate completely.
Fold in the ground hazelnuts, spices and coconut. Finally fold in the vegetables, sultanas and the seeds
Divide the mixture evenly between the two pans, or fill the loaf tin and sprinkle the top with more seeds if you like.
Bake for 30–40 minutes, or until the top has risen and a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out crumby, but clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely
When cool, you can spread with cream cheese frosting or top with toasted seeds, fresh fruit and beetroot crisps
To make the cream cheese frosting, beat the Lurpak Baking Butter for 4–5 minutes, then add the cream cheese and beat for another 2 minutes.
Add the icing sugar and vanilla and beat for another 2 minutes, until smooth and evenly incorporated. You can add a further 50–100g of icing sugar for a firmer frosting if desired
Chef tip: You can store this cake for up to a week in the fridge. The Lurpak Baking in the cake helps keep it really moist.
It is the perfect consistency for creaming with sugar straight from the fridge moist and adds a light even crumb and golden finish on your bakes.
REFRESHING SPRING ICED TEA COCKTAIL RECIPE
PRETTIEST BLUEBERRY & LAVENDER CAKE RECIPE
LOTS MORE ON HANDBAG.COM